Saturday, March 3, 2007

My Sweet and Wild Max


Yesterday while trying to get started for the day, Max was very busy and singing very loudly throughout the house. If I asked him a question he would sing it back at me, in an extra loud operatic voice. If I told him to quiet down, he would just look at me with these eyes like, "huh?"

He asked numerous times if he could clean the bathrooms, wash the sliding glass door, mop the floor etc...he NEEDED something to do and clearly wanted to do something that was productive rather than the alternative. I was trying to make waffles and was feeling so beleagured by all three of the kids but especially Mr. Max who was trying to get my attention in so many ways. I had one of those moments where everything just came into view. Finally I realized that life would be so much easier if I just stopped and gave him some one on one. We got the bathrooms cleaned at his suggestion and did some other projects and actually had a good time.

As I was slipping off to sleep last night, I smiled to myself and just appreciated him for who he is, an intensely sensitive, caring little individual who operates in top speed gear alot of the time.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

What a sweet story. :o)

Perrin said...

Can I have some of Max's energy for an hour? Maybe I could get our bathrooms clean as well. I can't say my kids have ever asked to clean the bathrooms. The do like to "Sponge skate" to clean the kitchen floor.

I love those moments when you discover it's better to go with their moods than to fight against it. I'm sure he loved the attention.

Casey said...

I echo Brenda - that is an incredibly sweet story. I will try to follow your lead the next time that is taking place in my house. What a great mom you are!