Friday, November 23, 2007

three cases of strep, one case of hives, and a little bit of cabin fever





Well, I guess it turned out good this year that we celebrated Thanksgiving a few days early in anticipation of the fact that Lee would probably be working on the day of.
Because all three kids had strep yesterday....Gracey had an ear infection and I had taken her in the night before only to discover that she also had strep. Which I am sure she caught from Max...who had complained of a sore throat for several days, but never had a fever. After years of taking the kids to the Dr. and having them tell me that they just have a virus, I was trying to wait this thing out...little did I know I was trying to wait out strep throat. Colty came down with it yesterday too...so after a call to Doctor and a trip to Pharmacy we all had some Amoxicillin and hoped we would be much better today, and for the most part we are.
Colty however is allergic to Amoxicillin and/or penicillin based antibiotics we discovered this morning upon waking up. He looked sunburned at first and then I saw the same hives/rash that he had this spring when he took Amoxicillin for pnuemonia. At least we know now what caused the hives before. So we are switching antibiotics and hopefully he will be better soon.
By today, day three of staying home with three sick little ones, I was about to lose my head and the kids all needed a change of scenery. We took a little afternoon trip to Starbucks for coffee/hot chocolate and scones and you would have thought I bought them the moon. They were so good and so thrilled to be out and about with me. They were cute and it was SO good to get out even just for a little 30 minute spell of time.
Also in other news, Max got to bring home his class pet: Coda the guinea pig on Tuesday. The kids have LOVED every minute of the time with Coda. They have read to it, sang to it and just sat and petted it for hours. And, yes Santa has been asked for a guinea pig by both big kids, but we explained that Santa is out of animals at the North Pole this year and from now on Animals would be something that we have to decide on and pick out as a family. They seemed satisfied with this response...or at least I hope that they are. So here are a few pictures of them next to the guinea pig cage and of them sitting and relaxing yesterday working on getting well.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Glad to hear you guys are on the mend!

Brenda said...

Oh Amy! I bet it has been a long week for all of you. I am glad you are all on the mend now.