Saturday, September 12, 2009

Want Dat!


Meaning I want that. This is what my kiddos say or rather yell or screach when a commercial comes on TV and it something that they are wanting so very badly. It is best when it is repeated over and over and over at a high volume, and when at least 2children say it at the same. Want Dat, Want Dat, Want Dat...Dat, Dat, Dat....

This all started a few years ago when Max was about 5 and they would yell this several times a day. At that time I explained (like any parent would) that we cannot have everything we see, no matter how extraordinary it looks. Hard Concept for little people to get.

Next I explained that we could all have an ongoing list in our heads of "things" that you may like to get for your birthday or christmas...Now I tell them to add whatever it is they want to their list, this seems to help a little.

On a side note, I think it is all a little crazy that all of our children these days are always wanting, needing, desiring a little more, more, more....Children lusting after toys all the time. I know it is a big battle to fight, but we are working on it, working on learning that we must earn what we get and that treats/rewards are just that rewards...gone are the days of going into the store and getting "something" no matter how small, just because they are with me. Lastly we are limiting what TV goes on and how much exposure to it we get because it just adds to the problem... I know that I may not get too far with this battle but I at least have to give it a shot.

1 comment:

Perrin said...

Goodness....I think all kids are this way now. Corinne as an 8 year old is so much worse than ever. I can hardly stand to take her shopping anymore. I do the same with saying it can go onthe Xmas list. I am equally as frustrated.